I made this one in the corner if a sticky note. Nothing too polished, just a doodle.
Bryan & Brittany
This one was done as a wedding present for a very good friend of mine. Marriage is supposed to signify a new balance of two people and two lives. So what better way to mark the occasion that with an ambigram. The planning for this gave me nightmares. The countless phases this went through was ridiculous. Sometimes it was just one swirl here or a line too long there, but I’m proud I was able to keep it mostly in capital letters, save for the R and the double T. All in all I loved it and I hope the couple does too.
The planning page for this ambigram was very full and it was probably one of the ones I had to come back to the most. At one point, I had even discarded the name and had thought about doing a nickname instead. I was very proud of the end result. It’s not always the case that you end up with what you want though; compromising is something you have to do often when making ambigrams.
Marla This one has a musical inspiration to it, seeing as the person this was made for plays the viola.
I think my mind was on a different creative level than usual because I wasn’t sure how I was able to pull this name off. I had other drafts in mind, and I was satisfied with them, but once I made this one I was more than satisfied, I was sure this would be it. Hopefully you like it as much as I do.
This one had to have a whimsical feel to it. I’m not the best at very intricate designs, so I figured simple loops eould suffice. It was easy to jump off from the middle ASA combination and I had it rooted in my mind that I somehow had to make one single J transform into an RA. It just took a lot of scratch paper to get it right.
Juan This one should have been one of the easiest ones seeing as it’s only four letters long and it follows the 1:1 ratio of letters. But the middle part took me a while because I wanted it the thin line to seem natural and not intrusive. And even after it’s done, I feel the N needs to be revised
This one was made for a little boy with the energy of a thousand racecars. So I thought I’d give it an “extreme” look, something that would make it look sleek. I don’t think I succeeded and I fought with myself over the S/H in the middle. It suffices to say a revision will happen sometime in the future.
It may be a little hard to read, seeing as the K/OL in the middle is a little more abstract, but I am happy with the end result. I surprised myself with the extension of the N making the “hood” of the A towards the end.